Tape Won’t Work

Well, as life would have it, things need to be re-done because a good idea went south.

I posted a couple of weeks back about several things I had done in Freedom to make life a bit easier, and one of those was a couple of LED lights attached to the ceiling to make it easier to find our way inside after dark.  The whole precept was open the door, step up, push the light tab and voila’ LET THERE BE LIGHT.  It worked very well until the heat from our current day time temperatures (and it’s March, so even though it’s warmer than usual, it is not that hot) made the inside of the van warm enough to render the glue on the sticky tape unfit to hold the lights up. I found them on the floor. 

Experienced van dwellers know what they are talking about; tape is usually not a good choice for adhering items to any surface inside a vehicle.  It just gets too hot inside. 

Sooooooo……..  these terrific little lights will be reinstalled using screws.  Fortunately there are holes already drilled on the back plates so it was an easy fix.  And interesting that the company knew about the tape situation! Perhaps that’s why they caution against using the tape. BWAAAAAA.

I won’t bore you with another picture of said lights, but if you would like to be reminded of which ones I am talking about you can see the former post HERE.

Can’t have a post without a pic, so here’s a shot of the hyacinths that are in glorious bloom.  Ahhhhh, spring.  There’s nothing like it! 


Thank you for stopping by Two Dogs today.  Enjoy your Sunday and have a wonderful week.

Hugs, Shawna


 

A Nifty Little Idea

even if I do say so myself. 
I wanted some way to be able to hang up a few pictures and notes in the van, but the interior is covered in fabric and I am loathe to stick pins in it.  Yes, that will probably change, but I haven’t gotten to that point yet.  Freedom is still too new (to me) and I just can’t bring myself to stick pins in her.  At this time…

What I came up with as I was lying in bed waiting for the sand man to visit and dreaming about heading out on the “Big Adventure”  was fabric-covered sheet metal attached to the little hidey-hole cupboard doors on either side of the on-board television which, by the way, is analog and useless in this digital age; but I digress.  The idea blossomed into a plan and here’s how it all went down.  It has a good ending.

I called the local lumber/steel/recycling place and asked if they carried sheet metal and if so, could they cut it to size for me….and they could.  And I was happy. 

The cuts were a little rough, but I used a heavy duty nail file to smooth them up a bit. Next step was to drill small holes in the metal so I could attach the sheets to the doors. I decided to use small nails.  Only time will tell if that was a mistake.  If it was I will have to remove the nails and use screws. 

 The next step was to add double-faced carpet tape to the sheet metal, then cut my chosen material to size leaving a hefty border around all sides, remove the backing to expose the top side of the tape and “wrap” like a present.

 
Before taking my little wonders out to install on the doors, I took a pair of needle nose scissors and poked a hole in the fabric where the holes were drilled into the metal.  They were easy to find by feel.  I probably could have skipped this step because I used nails, but if I ever need to use screws instead, I don’t want the fabric to wrap around the screw and I think that’s exactly what they would do and possibly pull the material out of shape or pull it away from the carpet tape on the back.                                                            
 

 Here’s the sheet metal, wrapped and nailed to the cupboard door.  All ready for magnets and pictures of that new grand baby!  😉

 
On the To-Do List will be fixing, covering, doing SOMETHING with that gaping hole left by the TV.
 
Thanks for stopping by Two Dogs today.  Hugs, Shawna